posted by picasa

Thursday, June 9, 2011

week 2

I can't believe it's been only a week! I feel like I've been here and known my district FOREVER! It's been good though. Most of the homesickness has worn off.
Oh, ok, so where does Clark teach and when? I saw him once but that was because my companion needed something from our room so we left, it probably was a meal, to go get it. I saw my friend from college yesterday! His name is Jorden and I did a shortened musical with him my sophomore year! I went down to see him and he got really excited and started bouncing and said "I'm trying SO hard not to hug you right now!" It made me happy, yup, not a lot of hugs here....ah well. Spanish is coming along relatively well, the teachers, Hermanos Gillmore and Hollenbaugh, keep telling us not to stress about the language, that it wasn't SO important, and before this last saturday I didn't believe them. How could it not be important to speak the language of the people you're teaching? Hermano Hollenbaugh related a story about a companionship in Mexico, where he served, in which both parties didn't speak spanish well AT ALL. He said they made a goal to baptize 3, then 7, then 15 in the first three months, they baptizedm 3, then 6 and he left before he knew how the last goal went but it really helped me understand that the language isn't all that matters, there is a language that is universal to all of God's children and that is the language of the Spirit (shout out to you and dad's lesson back when.) If I don't say the words perfectly, but I can invite the spirit, I've done my job. Thank you for teaching me how to work, and how to look at things from another point. I've been praying a lot in spanish and it seems to be going well. Oh wow! only 20 mins left! Yeah, 30 mins a day on monday is all I get for email, but don't fret, I'm writing letters to the familia and they hopefully will get there at least by wednesday. The mail here comes around noon, and we get Dearelder.com letters after lunch and dinner. That's what I was saying about dearelder. Emailing me will probably be fine in the field, but right now it takes time off of what I can write. Dearelder I'll get the same day, generally. I'm warm enough :) The buildings have been getting colder but that's because of the impending heat. It feels so good outside right now :) I'm drawing pictures and stuff....AND I finished the first camera you sent me with. Unfortunately I'm really bad at taking pictures, but the whole disposable camera will be sent your way today!
I'll generally get packages....depends actually. I can only go to the mail room to pick them up when I have extra time (Yeah, I know, what's that?) but I will make time by eating faster or whatever, meal-times are good for things like that. I can only write letters on my P-day, today. The rest of my time is devoted to Classroom instruction, Spanish, teaching "progressing investigators" who are our teachers being someone they knew on the mission, eating, sleeping (yes we do sleep here), and personal/companion study time. I also spell a whole lotta things wrong, and I blame that on spanish.
Yesterday was Fast Sunday and my whole district, except me, bore testimony in Spanish. I was going to, I had it ready but I felt WAY too content to go up there. The branch pres and his wife met with all the sisters in our branch, which is 7 of us and talked about ourselves and any issues we had. As we could think of none he kept probing us. After the meeting his wife told us "just make up some problems so he stops asking ;)" It was a good day yesterday. Oh yeah! My branch pres. owns Kneaders! I know, what're the odds right? His name is Pres. Worthington and his wife's name starts with a "C" I think. Colleen? I don't remember.
I definately feel better about my chances here now after a few weeks. The first week is HARD. Everyone needs to know that. It doesn't necessarily get easier, just better. You get used to things and take things in your stride because now you know how to.
Hermana Bingham and I have been doing much better at teaching (who would have thought a lesson outline would help SO much?) Both teachers have noted on it and our flow is so much better. Sorry if this is disjointed. I figure I'm writing letters to you anyway so I don't have to say EVERYTHING. But I'm doing well. I'm eating enough and sleeping enough. I get along with my district well and I'm learning SO much about myself, the church, and why I'm here. It's all about the people, not me, I'm not here for me. The church is true, Joseph Smith restored the Gospel in these latter days with the power of God on his side, and if we are worthy of that power we can do anything. I love you so much! Look for the colorful letters!
-Love Aubrey....er....Hermana Pixton

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us Connie. Aubrey sounds great! She is in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete