posted by picasa

Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday August 1, 2011

And the Lord smote Aubrey with Argentina, and out came brown water....lots of it.

I´m sorry we weren´t able to communicate a bunch and this time will be somewhat limited because today we took a nap for our P-day activity and slept too long, so! We got here ok :) Typing is a bit more difficult because the keyboard is slightly different but I´ll try to keep it coherant. I´m not sure what the rules are for computer use, but I think it´s just still emailing. So from NY we took this HUGE plane to BA, then we missed our bus so we were in a bus station for another 7 hours, so of course we started singing hymns. We get done with one of them and an old woman comes over and starts yelling at Elder M, saying if he was a real man he would give her an answer yes, or no (we´re pretty sure there was no legit question). I started praying as I´m sure our whole group was and an LDS bishop walks by and starts speaking to the lady, it´s all in spanish. After she left he told us that she was asking when he was going to close down those illegal jails, yes or no. Also she heard that he had a big family. He asked her what she meant and she was all, you know! It was too funny. Anyway, we got on this double-decker bus that was super comfortable after the bus station. We traveled until about 5 and got to Bahia. They thought we were coming at 7. Yup, lots of waiting :) But then we went to the mission office and tried to do stuff with our passports and getting an ID for here, but that didn´t work for some castillano reason. Then we went back to the office and had lunch with all the missionaries, trainers and newbies. I saw Hna. Col and that was a cool one way connection. During that time I really wanted to be trained by a particular sister but I wasn´t anticipating it because I didn´t know if it was the Lord´s will or not, so after lunch we went into the chapel of the church and had a mission goals presentation. Finally we were paired up with our companions....................very last were me and Hna V...............with.............HNA C AND HNA A! (respectively). Hna C was the one I had hoped to be paired with! I know right! And no, as far as we know she´s not closely related to the Steve C. We got on another bus and traveled to Mar, we arrived at about 1 or 2. Oh, Hna. V and I live together! Yeah, that was another miracle here. Our apartment is the third floor up, there´s an elevator but sometimes it doesn´t work. We go through some shops to get to the stairs/elevator to get to our apartment. It´s pretty small but there´s love there so I couldn´t be happier. It´s also very cold here right now. Oh, and for the missionary moms, apparently you need sheets here. A sister left hers and I have the liner so I´m good, but they´re not really as stocked as we thought. We have a little space heater and THANK YOU for the thermals! They´ve saved my life I´m sure! Let´s see....They killed most of their investigators right before I got here and then this was also their winter break, so not a lot of lessons taught for the week, but I´m getting used to rejection! I probably won´t be totally always used to it but it´s not so shocking now. My "momma" aka Hna C, is so great mom! So cheerful and she helps me a lot. She made me an "esposo" out of a cake box so I can carry un Libro de Mormon and some folletos, along with my agenda and my hymnal. Bags get stolen here so we´re not supposed to have them. It´s a lot more city here than I thought it would be. I expected like dirt roads and far spaced houses. Nope! very packed and full of awesome/sometimes not awesome smells. It´s a port so lots of fish which Hna. C just loves! She really doesn´t..... :D Anyway! My spanish is so little! I´m told it will grow a lot as I´m here and I totally believe that but I still feel bad because I can´t really contribute to the lessons, I could say all I want but if I can´t understand their problem I can´t adjust my teaching....that´s my dilemma. I must look so funny to people! I´m next to Hna. Clark and smiling and nodding and suddenly I realize they´ve asked me a question, oh no....what did they say....I look at Hna C who is looking at me, look back at them and say: No intiendo muy mucho......They sometimes keep trying to talk to me but usually switch to Hna C and I go back to smiling and nodding, though I´m getting better at understanding. Hna V and I have these moments where neither of us understand. It´s really amazing how similar things are here, when I say "things" I mean "people", human interaction is the same, apparently it´s very similar to northern California....just to give an idea. I´ve got to wrap this up. Here are some pictures!
I love you!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment